Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Birthday Gift to You

Dear Lucia,

Today is my birthday. Your mother's birthday was two days before. I will forever be able to tease your mother about being older than me. In fact, this will be an old family joke by the time you read this, one in which you will undoubtedly roll your eyes over.

Every year when my birthday rolls around, I look back at my year and even my life in order to take stock of all that I've done (or not done). Some years have been better than others. (22 was disastrous. 30 was pretty great.) Of course, this year was all about waiting for you and getting to know you over the past five months. Because of your arrival, I have paid special attention to the legacy I'm leaving for you.

One of my Facebook friends (I'll explain Facebook another time.), a former camper I worked with at a summer camp, told me how much she wanted her dad to share the kinds of things I share with you on this blog. She had several kind words for me and this blog, making me feel as though this was a worthwhile project, that you will appreciate the knowledge and stories I share here once you grow up. I hope she's right, but it's OK if you don't like the blog.

Either way, I want you to know that as I look back over my 34th year on this planet, I have one crowning achievement: you. You have enriched my and your mother's lives more than you will ever know. You can read this in the blog, but hopefully I will show you how much I love you every day. If you ever want to know the story of your birth, which Pavement album you should start with, or what to do with a broken heart, you can read this blog...or you can just ask me. That's my gift to you on my birthday, Lucia.

Love,
Dad

No comments: