Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Dear Lucia,

I should have written this letter yesterday, but I was busy. Why yesterday? Well, Sunday was Mother’s Day. It’s a holiday intended to honor mothers everywhere. And if there is one thing everyone has, it’s a mother. And if there is one person everyone should honor, it’s our mothers.

I’m writing this letter to remind you just how much your mother means to you. You might not always believe that or remember, but I know what I see. Your face lights up whenever your mom enters a room. Conversely, you throw a terrible fit whenever she leaves. You have more fun bathing with, waking up to, being fed by, and playing with your mother than any other person in the world.

That includes me. Currently, I am #2 on your list. I’m OK with that, because I love my mother too. That and your mother is pretty amazing.

Anyways, when you hit that age – 3, 6, 10, 12, 16…whenever – you’re going to butt heads with your mother. You’ll wonder how you could have ever come from someone so mean and unable to understand you. When that happens, I want you to read this letter and remember the good times and all that your mother has done for you.

Love,
Dad

No comments: